- About Us
- Green Maps
- Contact Us
Criteria for Inclusion
Criteria for being included as a listing in the Our Community Green directory were originally based on the Green America Green Business Seal of Approval which was one of the first green business certifications in the U. S. Since then, several others have been developed- B Corp, Green Plus, and Green America’s new Green Gain. If a business has any of the above certifications, they will be automatically accepted.
For new listings, please answer the following: Does your organization have policies in place and take actions to implement those policies in the following areas?
- a mission statement that includes environmental and social equity components as well as economic.
- All employees fully aware of this mission
- Decisions made with all 3 factors taken into consideration.
• measure and track office energy consumption
• take steps to reduce consumption by specific amounts
• purchase N.C. Green Power from your utility, OR
• purchase carbon offsets
• use environmentally healthy (for people and the planet) materials in designing a new facility or
• renovating or upfitting an existing one.
• source local and green products and services from companies that practice sustainable principles (office supplies, electronics, appliances, cleaning supplies).
• measure and track transportation miles ( vehicular and air)
• engage in strategies for reducing travel
• purchase carbon offsets to cover travel miles.
• measure and track your
• use water saving fixtures, equipment, and practices
• measure and track your waste stream
• take steps to reduce, resuse, and recycle.
An equitable cap on executive compensation in relation to other employees’ pay; A succession plan for transferring leadership at retirement or in case of emergency wherein the values of the organization are continued in perpetuity
consistent application of fair benefits (vacations, sick leave, parental leave); opportunities for employee input in areas that affect them
Clear guidelines regarding individual and team performance expectations, performance reviews, and termination
- Community Contribution:
Paid time allotted employees to offer pro bono volunteer time to community organizations; An optional workplace giving program that includes social equity and environmental organizations
Partnering with other organizations in the community engaged in sustainability initiatives.
- Education & Engagement:
Provide education and training opportunities for your employees (in house or external) on sustainability, team building, safety, career development, ESL, or anything that will improve their ability to be successful at work.
• make financial and investment choices that are socially and environmentally conscious.
2. Your Supply Chain:
• choose to do business with other companies that are on the sustainability path; educate others about why you are making the choices you are.
3. Local Economy Support:
• purchase from local vendors and encourage your partners and affiliates to do so.
4. Community Contribution:
• giving financial support or in-kind donations to community organizations. Match employees contributions to sustainability driven organizations.